Friday, August 8, 2008

FRIED BRAIN

We saw two yarn reps at the shop today. Who would have thought that running your fingers through hundreds of strands of fabulous yarns would be so incredibly tiring! I mean, REALLY tiring. It's like fiber overload. The owner of the shop looked like she was ready to collapse, and my friend CB and I were so overtired that we were giddy and acting like silly children!

But in the end, it all worked out. Some great yarn will be on it's way to the lovely shop in Chaplin. Of course, it just dawned on me today that my hubby's father is approaching yet another birthday and wouldn't it just blow chunks if the only knitter he knows doesn't make him a handmade gift? So I am making him a pair of socks out of Louet Gems. Can we say "yummy"? I mean, sitting at the shop all day I hear all sorts of fabulous things about this yarn, but wow. It feels so nice to work with and has such a springy texture.

At first I thought to make him a pair of socks using a nice OPAL yarn or Trekking. But that idea changed for two reasons....He doesn't wear thinner socks. He tends to wear a sportier sock. AND the real reason is that he is a size 12 wide and I was too tired to convert the pattern to try to make a fingering weight sock fit a sasquatch foot. Instead, I am using a sport weight, but using the pattern for the largest sock which calls for fingering weight. I figure it will work.
And all I have to say now is ribbing is a
useful but tedious act! It felt like it took all night to get this little bit done! But isn't it pretty? Watch! With my luck, his favorite color is fuschia and blue makes him nauseous!

No comments: