Monday, August 18, 2008

FAVORITE CAMPING MOMENTS



So, it's now obvious that I actually do enjoy camping. Like I said, we weren't roughing it, and it wasn't like we couldn't just drive home if things got horrible, but this was definitely me stepping outside of the box and doing something different....something that actually wasn't all that enticing to me. I feel somewhat accomplished.

On the second night we camped, the weather was perfect, and the whole campground just seemed to pulsate with life. It's like the storm left everyone feeling grateful for the following day. I could hear other campers talking and laughing. The group right next to us was having a bachelor party weekend, and they played games and drank beer and cracked jokes the entire time. I wouldn't want to be anyone of them the next day with the hangover situation, but I think it was a nice way for them to spend their time. The camaraderie was nice. They asked me to take a picture for them so they could remember the "good times". I chuckled and told them I would do that for them, but I wanted them to know that there would surely be many more good times to come.

I spend the day knitting and reading a novel.....about knitting. Hehe. It was an amazing revelation to know that I could just sit there, under the trees without one pressing thing I had to attend to. The most work we really had to do was make sure the fire was stoked, and that wasn't a problem. Look how gorgeous is was:Even Larry was overwhelmed by its beauty. He danced around for about five minutes! One day I will prove that I have ONE normal friend. Ahem...maybe not! Hehe.

Jeff was able to spend some time playing his new guitar. I'm not quite certain he anticipated that his playlist was going to strictly consist of the Alphabet Song and This Old Man, but he is a child magnet and basically goes out of his way to make the little ones happy. Yet another reason I love this man.





Brian enjoyed his camping days by lounging on Chris' motorcycle. Apparently he has been trying to weasel it away from him for the last few months. It looks like he might just get his way......maybe. ;)




Chris and Heather enjoyed the sun and each other as much as possible. Just looking at their faces was enough to make you feel relaxed. They had the right idea, if you ask me.



And so our camping trip ended in the same fashion I guess everyone's camping trip ends. We cleaned up our site, gathered our furniture and took down the tents. OH, speaking of taking down the tents. I have decided that watching two grown men work vehemently to get a tent back to it original packaging size is one of my favorite things to do!! What a bunch of weirdos!




Now I don't want to seem like a sap and under no circumstances do I think that my life is the most stressful one in existence. I know it's not. For the most part I spend my days doing the things I love to do and I get to go home to someone who loves me as much as I love him. But sometimes life gets a bit fast and unruly, maybe even a little untidy, and getting away for two days helped me recenter myself. I saw a sign on the way into the campground, and it was very simple and yet profound. Here it is:




For two day I was able to drive in the slow lane, so to speak. I had nothing to do and I had no where to be. I suppose it's kind of liberating to know that sometimes it takes something as simple as sleeping in a tent as the rain crashes down overhead to make life seem a whole lot easier. So, tonight, I wish you all restful and peaceful dreams as I crawl into bed......the bed in my house............


I think I like my camping bed better. ;)

-T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures of Jeff with the kids are classic. Adorable, too.

Story said...

It is so wonderful to get away. Jeff...what a sweetheart.....

you deserve to go 10mph more often....