Monday, February 23, 2009

LUMPY AND BUMPY

There was a bit of excitement tonight at the bowling alley. A member of our league bowled a perfect 300 hundred game. It wasn't me.......surprise, surprise! Hehe. My strategy is a combination of semi-skill and talking to my bowling ball, hoping that coaxing it will help it's journey down the lane. Sometimes it works...other times it shows me a certain arrogance which only convinces me that it belongs in the gutter.

As always, Jeff had his camera handy and to be nice, he took a picture of the screen so that the perfect bowler could have a nice piece of memorabilia to place on her fireplace mantle, or wherever it is that people place their bowling moments.

And I finally hunkered down today and took a few pictures of my inspired ridged hat. After making the scarf, (which I happily wore to see Topol.....I'm still not over meeting him), my friend Sarah was devastated that I had blocked out all of the bumps that had manifested themselves in the scarf due to the short rowing. She begged me to leave it bumpy, and I said that as odd as I can be at times, I wasn't quite in the mood to don a bumpy scarf. So I blocked it. And she pouted.

Now, I was not about to make another scarf. As fun as it was, I had other things to knit. But I decided to put a little smile on Sarah's face, and I surprised her with this design:
And I left it bumpy! Not only did I get smiles, I got hugs, and she jumped around and wore it ALL DAY for four days straight! When she likes something, she really, really likes it.

I started it off in the round, but because of the short rowing at the beginning of the round, it was a very weird transition. For the first few ridges, I tried a series of alternating stitches on the needles, crossing them...but the join was still a little off. So I just decided to just work in the round where I could and then seam it up where I couldn't. Because I decided this mid-project, and then I forgot to put it together with a stronger yarn, the seam isn't perfect, but I know what to do for the next time I choose to make the hat.

After this picture was taken, I have also decided that the next time this hat is on my needles, I will make it a snood. It looks slouchy in this photo and I like how it just slumps; but in reality, it's a fitted hat. But it's bumpy, and according to Sarah, that's all that matters!

~T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. i kind of liked the bumps in the afghan as well. you know how i am about blocking stuff...