Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Knitting Lace Like the Alaskans Do

I've been ogling my friend's hand knit lace wonders, and finally decided that I wanted to tackle lace weight yarn. I have worked some lace patterns before, but I was using a worsted weight cotton. After perusing my LYS I found a very pretty, almost navy lace weight alpaca, which I of course squished to my face for several minutes before I purchased it.

I have two lace books on their way to me via UPS (A Gathering of Lace and Knitted Lace of Estonia), so I figured that I was well stocked with patterns, since I didn't want to go too crazy. What if I don't like knitting lace? Of course, my eyes fell on a lace book, my hands snatch it, I read the first few pages, and now I own it. It is called Arctic Lace by Donna Druchunas, and it is a wonderful compilation of patterns and stories of the knitters of Oomingmak Musk Ox Producers' Co-operative and their signature laces.



Here is the scarf that I would like to make:

Here's my first attempt (and by first I mean third......it's funny how things don't work out when you read the chart incorrectly - hehehe):


With my gauge on a size three needle, the scarf was a little wider than I wanted, so I am just knitting the center star without the border diamonds. And,who knew......I like knitting lace. Looks like I might need a bigger bookcase.

~T

2 comments:

LISMI said...

Beautiful pattern you chose. I love how it looks knitted up.

Story said...

oh man...lace! I want to learn that too...but, you'll be leaving me in the dust i'm afraid....