Friday, September 12, 2008

THE ROOT IS ON FIRE

I haven't written in a while and I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I really didn't want to look back and see how many days I actually went being a stressed out ball of yuck. It's difficult being in a constant state of mind where you feel like you are compromising your own right to happiness for the happiness of others.

I may be more sensitive than I would like to be, but I have learned to appreciate my sensitivity. I find that it's probably the only thing that keeps me human and somewhat sane. And it's the same thing that makes me vulnerable. A double edged sword. I had a friend tell me that I care too much. "People hurt you because you care too much." I"m not really sure there is such a thing as caring too much. But I do know that there is such a thing as respect and love and friendship and appreciation. You know...the stuff they teach you in kindergarten.

So, quite frankly, the last month I found myself looking for the genuine acts of respect and love and friendship and appreciation, and felt like I came up short. Why would I write about it? What's the point of dwelling on something that I can not change......especially when I know that I am not responsible for that change. I can only change the way I react to the negative things I encounter in my own life and hope that I can grow.

Anyhoo, on a completely positive note, I finished my swap with my new friend Julie, and she really seemed to love the package that I put together for her. There is something really exhilarating about gathering goodies for a person you know very little about and hoping that your instincts are right.

She sent me these beautifully knit napkin holders, two knitting mystery novels, which totally rock because I am a mystery wacko, the cutest little lamb and yarn stamp and ink pad, candies, cheese stitch markers, gorgeous yarn, a crochet hedgehog kit, a toy for my muppy puppies, praline candies and gummy lobsters that Jeff devoured upon open seeing them. Oh, and a beading magazine and some beads, which I think I will turn into stitch markers.....for myself of course, because I think I should make something for myself. And the greatest thing is that she only lives about forty minutes away ( I think) so we are planning on having lunch sometime soon and meeting in person! Fun, fun!!!

Of course because I'm a tool, I say "fun, fun" and the party pooper part of my brain reminds me that I have to take the stupid antibiotic that has been making me feel sick for the last three days and schedule an appointment for the root canal that I need to have done on my second molar. Yippee for me!! Ugh! You know, sometimes I really wished I had a one tracked mind! Or at least a mind that made a little bit of sense. Could you imagine me playing that word association game? You know, the one where someone says a word and you say the first thing that comes to your mind. It would go something like this:


Word: Yarn
My Answer: Knitting

Word: Knitting
My Answer: Swapping

Word: Swapping
My Answer: Julie

Word: Julie
My Answer: Pralines (Yummmmm!!)

Word: Pralines
My Answer: Sweet (Double Yum!!)

Word: Sweet
My Answer: Toothache (umm....what?)

Word: Tootache
My Answer: Infection (ugh)

Word: Infection
My Answer: Root Canal

You see!!! I'm nuts! I went from Yarn to Root Canal!! Hehe. Oh well. That's me, I guess. Kookoocachoo! At least I feel more like myself than I have in a while which is a good thing because when I am myself, I find that my smile hangs around for a long time, despite the occassional dischords.

-T

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so depressing - it wasn't a total negative experience! You found out there are a bunch of people who worried about you and love you and helped you out - look on the bright side. My guess is that as soon as your teeth feel better, your outlook will also and the bright chipper Natasha we all love to be around will return.
Sam

"Sam" said...

oops, I was logged on to my computer as Michael - he did not write that. He would have no more idea how to answer a blog than he would doing surgery.... it was from me, Sam