Wednesday, February 4, 2009

SO MANY MEDIUMS, SO LITTLE TIME!

When one door slams in your face, another door opens, right? Right! And the door I opened happened to be hiding all of the hobbies and passions I have picked up over the years..... and I'm about neck deep in all of it! Hehehe. It's amazing how many things I forgot I loved to do....it's a bit scary, actually. But exciting.

I checked out one of my friend's blogs today and it only confirmed what I have known for a long time...artists are very rarely only good at one thing. This friend is someone I met through our love of knitting, and of course I know we are multi-faceted just because of the fact that we are human beings, but it was still great to be reminded that there is always more. Always more. Looking at her self designed, hand made dolls and reading about a few of the things she is interested in, it made me happy that I am actually in a place where I can embrace the other things in my life that make me complete. I thanked her for inspiring me the other day. I guess I'll have to thank her again. Hehehe.

For the last few days I have been working on a very beautiful project that had originally aspired to be an afghan, but as I continue to work on it, I truly feel that with me, it will be much happier in the form of a scarf. And I asked myself if it was a laziness thing (because after all I can get a bit overwhelmed and dread the idea of having to work on a project long term) but it turns out that I have a stronger desire to make the Great American Aran Afghan, which is something that I have wanted to do for at least the last year and a half. So, I think another two feet and the scarf will be a done deal....and then onward and upward.

My sewing machine is out and oiled and I have been making lined upholstered bags with my mother in law. She grew up in Pennsylvania and apparently lived next door to a seamstress who taught her all these nifty little tricks to make the sewing experience a fun one. Imagine that! So, I'm learning as we listen and hum to Gershwin show tunes...

Speaking of show tunes, my friend Sarah and I are actually going to see the Fiddler On The Roof (which is one of my FAVORITE musical movies) and get this: Topol (who is the original Tevya in the movie) is reclaiming his place as the original and the best. TOPOL!!!

I'm super, super, super excited, although I can't help but laugh at the reaction of both my mother and father in law when they found out Topol was still acting. "WHAT?!! HE"S STILL ALIVE?!!" Hehehe. Poor Topol. No matter; I think he'll be awesome just because.

Anyway, I'm sitting here waiting for my hubs to get back with a lightbox. We are going to spend the next couple of hours taking pictures of the jewelry that I've been making. With a lot of pushing and nudging from the nice lady who owns the bead shop down the road from where I live, I have finally decided to sell some of them online.

Etsy will be my first place to try them out, and then Jeff is working on a personal website for me so that I can really explore and continue to venture in all of the neat things I like to do while sharing it with others. So, the next few months will be busy, I think. I would like to get some of my small quilted things up, my jewelry, the cool bags I've been designing, of course interesting knitted goodies, and maybe one or two of my smaller oil paintings (although, I get a bit shy about my paintings and drawings).

The lightbox is here, so off I go. Maybe I'll be able to get some of my pics up tonight. Then again, maybe not.

~T

1 comment:

Story said...

Nice job on your first podcast...now quit mentioning my name will ya!