Thursday, February 26, 2009

ARRIVING IN ESTONIA

I have my book! Yay! Knitted Lace of Estonia was recommended to me by a fellow knitter, and once I got my hands on it, it just seemed like the obvious, natural progression from Arctic Lace. I think what attracted me to these two books is the beautiful way in which they are written. It's almost not about the patterns.....it's more about the story behind the pattern. The history of lace in these regions and the people, as well as the tradition of how these particular lace patterns were made. So I am learning a lot, and have a heightened sense of respect for these amazing knitters.

There's just something about knitting with very fine yarn that makes me happy. Lace, for me, regardless of what state of mind I'm in, is a process where I am relishing every stitch, every motion, every row. I'm not concerned about speed. As a matter of fact, the scarf I am working on is probably one of the most relaxing projects I've ever made. It's not about speed and when will I get to the end. But I'm not going to lie. I love looking at each row, watching the star take shape. According to the pattern, I have three more stars to go. I might make it a little longer.

OK, so now that I know that one of my friend's is expecting a boy, I've been building a small fortress of yarn and potential patterns. You can never have too much, right? Hehehe.. Well, you know how it is. It's very hard to just make one thing. I'm going to design a little sweater for the wee one, but I also think I'm going to make the EZ Baby Surprise Sweater. I've helped a few people make them, but I myself have never made one. I have a super cute pattern for baby booties, using a fingering weight yarn, which I have plenty of. And there's a very pretty cabled baby hat in the Debbie Bliss book which I would love him to have.

Now to choose which one to make first.

~T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're going to be busy! Glad you're enjoying Lace....